Gosh… any Tolkien fans out there?
I consider myself a fan of Tolkien/LOTR/Middle-earth (I even use the phrase “What (where) in (on) Middle-earth?!”), but after reading The Silmarillion… wow. I love talking books and such with people, and I will rave on Tolkien’s books, but I’d hate and love to talk to someone who studies Tolkien as a profession.
This book can be considered boring (as I first thought), but once you get past the beginning and get further into the battles and such, oh my gosh! It gets so good!
My favorite chapter in The Silmarillion is Of Beren and Luthien. They are the cutest couple in the history of Middle-earth (save for Aragorn and Arwen, but they are like clones of Beren and Luthien)!
Fun Fact! Did you know that J. R. R. Tolkien wrote on his wife’s gravestone “Luthien” and on his “Beren.” Isn’t that super sweet?!
If you don’t know anything of Beren and Luthien, here’s the short version (and don’t get mad at me if you’re a fan, I am shortening this):
- Beren was a mortal man.
- Luthien was an elf—immortal
- Beren found Luthien in a forest and was enchanted by her, falling in love
- Luthien’s father found out about Beren and sent him away to his death
- Beren almost died
- Luthien escaped from her father to save Beren
- They both died, but Luthien chose to bring them back to the world of the living by giving up her immortality
- They lived happily ever after by themselves
My question for You: If you have read The Silmarillion, which is your favorite story?